Saturday, October 19, 2013

I went to Anderson University Homecoming Today


I hadn't been back for this event in several years. But a student worker in the alumni office called to invite me, so I accepted, and I'm so glad I did.

Now I wear the title Professor Emeritus in recognition of 23 years of teaching in two separate stints: 1963-1967 and 1981-2000.  I saw lots of people from both those periods, but let me tell you about one student from each era.

Stacey (Gray) Feaster greeted me just outside Henderson Auditorium after the welcoming ceremony.  Her Class of 1993 was the first full senior college class after we returned to four-year status.  

[A history side note: Anderson College was founded in 1911 as a senior college for women.  To survive the Great Depression, we reduced to junior college status in 1930 and returned as a senior college in 1989.  Then we became Anderson University in the 21st century.]

I will always remember Stacey as a lively journalism student with fresh ideas for feature stories.  She also was involved in student government and probably other activities I don't recall. There was never a dull moment when she was among her fellow budding reporters in the former garage apartment building -- one of several hand-me-down homes for journalism during my years on the faculty.

Several times over the years, I took students to New York City for a journalism convention, and Stacey was in one of those groups.  College students are adults, and I didn't try to monitor their every moment. But I did get worried one night when Stacey and her roommate were out when I knocked on their door after midnight just before I went to my room.  End of story?  I woke up sometime in the night -- still worried -- and went by their room and called out to them.  This time, they passed the room check. Whew!

At Homecoming, Stacey was accompanied by her husband Jeffrey and their 12-year-old son Jeff.  I wonder whether she's told young Jeff about her late-night roaming in the Big Apple .  .  .

The Feasters live in the Columbia, South Carolina, area, where she teaches in Fairfield County.  Great seeing you and the men in your life, Stacey.

Jumping back 30 years earlier, Ronnie Hyatt was a sophomore when I first came to Anderson (Junior) College.  I didn't teach Ronnie, but in those years the student population was small.  About 700. That's less than 25 percent of this year's record enrollment of 2966.  In those years, I was young and single and spent many hours a day on campus, so I knew a high percentage of the boarding students.

Ronnie was classmate with some of my students, including Wallace Taylor, who edited the campus paper, The Yodler; and Don Kirkland.  Ronnie and his wife live in Taylors, South Carolina, where Don also lives.  He said he sees Don from time to time.  Don recently retired from editing the South Carolina Baptist publication, The Baptist Courier.  

As I recall, Ronnie was the team manager for men’s basketball, with Coach Jim “Red” Hill.  Ronnie is another redhead.  I made some trips with the team.  I guess that was my closest association with Ronnie.

I was pleased to learn Ronnie hears me on the radio on Sunday mornings as he is on the way to church.  I teach the Baraca Radio Sunday School Class from Anderson’s First Baptist Church.  I told him the lesson also is online at the church website: www.andersonfbc.org.  If he goes to that site, he can read the lesson or listen to me.

Ronnie, my visit with you and your wife was a pleasure.

To Stacey and Ronnie, “thanks for the memories.”


No comments: